野心勃勃的红龙瑞亚丝塔萨（其地精伪装名为瑞亚）来到荒芜之地研究黑龙军团并试图找到将其净化的方法。她抓住了一只黑龙尼希昂卓拉并强迫她产下用于实验的龙蛋。 她与耶柔米·布拉姆博士最终用一件远古时期的泰坦设备、一只黑龙仔尸体、一枚野生黑龙蛋与一枚尼希昂卓拉的龙蛋成功创造了一枚被净化的黑龙蛋。 她为此四处转移躲避想摧毁龙蛋的黑龙军团密探追杀，然而最终还是死在了追捕龙蛋的死亡之翼手中。 不过虽然龙蛋被毁，却是瑞亚斯塔萨自己的蛋。耶柔米·布拉姆已经将真正的龙蛋移至远离荒芜之地的安全位置，这样它就能离开死亡之翼的视线安然成长。 这只龙蛋在暮光高地的一处红龙军团哨站朱红庇护所中由科拉丝塔萨负责照顾，然而不久之后这枚龙蛋又神秘消失了。
拉希奥对魔古之力的起源一定深有了解，而艾泽拉斯的冒险者们也帮助黑王子进行了探究。为了寻找信息，玩家们需要深入雷神的宫殿雷电王座。一路上，玩家会解开新宝石苍穹之冠的秘密。你在雷神岛上要为他收集20份帝国秘史与40份延极锭，随后你必须前往雷霆熔炉完成他的下一项任务。在你启动熔炉之后就可以呼唤他，随后他会要求你前往Foot of Lei Shen 并对世界首领暴风领主纳拉克使用闪电长枪。在此之后，返回Mason's Folly取得你的染煞宝石而拉希奥则会赠予你苍穹之冠。
拉希奥伪装成一位Highmountain tauren出现，位于死亡之翼的旧巢穴，如今Highmountain的地域之中。他向冒险者讲述了Huln Highmountain，以及他是如何用卡兹格罗斯之锤将死亡之翼放逐出这片土地的故事。在Neltharion's Vault中拉希奥发现了一些失落的黑龙蛋，这些龙蛋与他一样都未曾受到奈萨里奥的污染。离开之前，他向布莱恩·铜须解释称德拉诺上发生的事件是一场“误会”，以及他希望加尔鲁什将钢铁部落的目标对准燃烧军团而不是艾泽拉斯。
- "We don't know who Wrathion's literal father is. Certainly he's in Deathwing's lineage. He considers DW to be his father, FWIW."
- "Wrathion likely took the "Prince" title himself, claiming to be the "true" heir of Deathwing."
《Ultimate Visual Guide》中将拉希奥列为死亡之翼的儿子，而奥妮克希亚与奈法利安则是他同父异母的兄弟姐妹。
- "It's kinda kooky, but Wrathion's mother Nyxondra was Onyxia's sister... so... Yeah black dragons are freaky."
- "You guys are right, Deathwing isn't technically Wrathion's direct biological father."
在2012年的WoW Insider见面会上，首席任务设计师Dave Kosak谈到了拉希奥：
- When we had written that questline in the Badlands there, we knew that this would be a cool story thread to pick up some day. But if you really think about how long it would take a dragon to mature and start developing his own thoughts, it'd be a long time. Like decades. And we didn't really have time for that! So I said well, OK -- if we ask people to buy into this one thing, that because of these experiments he can have some self-awareness early on, wow - what an interesting character that is!
- All of a sudden he's so compelling. Because let's see, his father was crazy and tried to destroy the world, his mother was basically raped by the red dragonflight, then his egg was experimented on to sever his ties with his own family - so how do you view the world at that point? Well, you don't really view the world as a friendly place. You're probably eager to take control of your own destiny, which he does, even before he hatches. And then you kind of have this thing to atone for - your father tried to destroy the world. Your father went crazy. Are you crazy? How do you not be crazy, how do you make up for what your father did. Suddenly he's such a cool character! I really want to explore that character. We kind of went nuts with it. So we kind of asked people -- well if you can already buy in to the idea that he hatched from his egg and already started hatching schemes, then there's a whole cool story that can come from that. And we really rolled with it.
- That was kind of the genesis of that character. His value to the franchise is he really can kind of stand above Alliance and Horde, and really try and be a good guy, but without all the moral reservations that most good guys have. He really does have the best interests of Azeroth in mind, but his interests may not necessarily line up with our interests. His plan may not be the way that we would think of planning it. That kind of gray area between hero and villain is so cool for us, very cool to explore. And you're never sure whether you should trust him or not. It helps that we got a wonderful voice actor who really gets that across. He gets that kind of, that air of arrogance and also a little bit of smarminess. You know, like you like him, but don't trust him at the same time. Wonderful, wonderful characterization.
- "They wanted to hold me, to keep watch over me – a prisoner in all but name. But I will NOT be held accountable for the sins of my father. My destiny will be my own."
- I do not share my father's madness.
- A new era is beginning.
- I must remain hidden, so that I remain free.
- I believe an individual can have an enormous impact on the world.
- You do not want to make it onto my list!
- A new era has begun.
- Pandaria: a land of mystery, history, and opportunity.
- We stand at the crossroads of history.
- The battle for Pandaria rages on.
- This war could tear Azeroth apart.
- Is there such a thing as a righteous war?
- These Pandaren question everything. It makes you think?
- There is so much we can learn from the Mogu.
- There is a hidden darkness to this land. Do you feel it?
- This is an awfully one-sided conversation.
- Did you hear what happened to the rest of the Black Dragonflight?
- I had them killed. All of them...
- ...And THEY were family.
- So, if I were you, I would carefully consider your decision to continue poking me.
<The Black Prince looks you up and down.>
It is very good to meet you, <class>. You are one of the vanguard, it would seem - an explorer in a strange new land. And how have you been finding the mysterious continent of Pandaria?
You have the look of someone who gets things done. I want you to return to me once you've gotten the lay of the land.
I will be right here.
Welcome, <class>! My contacts throughout Pandaria tell me that you have been quite busy here. I admire mortals with your... 'initiative.'
History finds us at a turning point. If you are prepared to meet destiny with me head on, I will ensure that you are richly rewarded for your efforts. Who are you?
I have chosen the name "Wrathion." To my knowledge, I am the last of the black dragons.
My father was Deathwing, the Worldbreaker, the Aspect of Death, the Destroyer... But I hope you will not hold that against me.
I have no love for my father, whose corruption destroyed my race, or for the Red Dragonflight, who stole away and experimented on my egg to create me.
Let's just say, I am... unaffiliated. And I am always on the lookout for like-minded heroes.
- Dave Kosak on Twitter
- TCG Battle of the Aspects, 57
- War Crimes
- Quest:Third Sample: Implanted Eggs
- Quest:Return to Blam
- Quest:Rheastrasza's Gift
- Quest:The Egg Lives On
- Quest:A Hidden Message
- Wrathion's story part 4
- Annual 2015
- Quest:A Legend in the Making
- Admiral Taylor's Garrison Log
- Quest:Cooking the Books
- Night of the Dragon, chapter 11
- Dave Kosak on Twitter (2013-04-30)
- Dave Kosak on Twitter (2014-01-31)
- Dave Kosak on Twitter
- War Crimes, chapter 5
- WoW Insider interviews Lead Quest Designer Dave Kosak
- Christie Golden on Twitter