Elven rangers are elite archers turning to nature for aid, befriending animals. Some of them possess minor druidic abilities, as Vereesa Windrunner was able to use the "language of the trees, of all plants", and sense a plant's emotions and history through touch.
Before the Great Sundering, at least one Highborne ranger protected the city of Vashj'ir: High Ranger Valarian. It is unknown if the rangers were a formal organization back then or if ranger was an individual title.
The High elven rangers were created during the Troll Wars, and Talanas Windrunner was the greatest of them. Roughly 500 years ago, a group of high elven rangers formed the Farstriders, an organization officially encompassing their kind. The commander of the Farstriders was given a unique, historic title: Ranger-General of Silvermoon.
Rangers were a special cadre of elven archers who were intimately bound to the wildlands of Lordaeron. Their pursuit of mastery in longbows, marksmanship, and scouting made them more rugged and even deadlier than their brothers - traits for which they were greatly feared amongst their enemies. These secretive and elite warriors had never involved themselves in the affairs of humans, but when Horde onslaughts threatened to destroy the elven homelands, they quickly offered their services to the Alliance. Although their numbers were few, their presence could change the course of the war if they were deployed wisely.
These fearless Half-Elven women are masters of survival and wilderness exploration. Trained to hunt down renegade Orcs and Trolls in the wildlands of both Azeroth and Lordaeron, the Rangers are a force to be reckoned with. Being Half-Elven, the Rangers are often avoided by members of the High Elven stock. However, these crafty females make their home in the wilds and seldom feel the need for the distractions of camaraderie. Rangers are expert marksmen with the longbow and carry specially weighted bows and magically enhanced arrows.
Rangers were eventually cancelled as a hero unit. Most of their abilities were given to the Priestess of the Moon instead, and their model was reused for the in-game appearances of Sylvanas Windrunner and Jennalla Deemspring. Among the possible random names was "Somand Wayfinder".
Blood elven rangers still traditionally belong to the Farstriders, staunch defenders of Quel'Thalas. The order endured the Scourging of their homeland and continues to defend the elven kingdom. They are led by Ranger General Halduron Brightwing and are usually stationed in their reclaimed country, holding a presence in the Eversong Woods, Silvermoon City, and the Ghostlands.
The dark rangers decided to serve the Forsaken under their progenitor Lady Sylvanas Windrunner. Nathanos Blightcaller, formerly her student in the arts of the elven ranger, now trains other Forsaken rangers of non-elven ancestry.
Finally, some night elves from the Sentinels recently gained the rank of ranger though it is unknown if it is a recent creation or an ancient tradition from before the splitting with the high elves. One of them is depicted as having the title of Ranger General, something originally thought to be limited to the Farstriders.
- Highvale Ranger - Hinterlands (noted for dual wielding swords, a common trope for rangers in tabletop role-playing games)
- Ranger - Eastern Plaguelands
- Silvermoon Ranger - Silvermoon City
- Novice Ranger - Eversong Woods
- Eversong Ranger - Eversong Woods
- Fallen Ranger - Ghostlands
- Falcon Watch Ranger - Hellfire Peninsula
- High Elf Ranger - Terokkar Forest
- Alliance Ranger - The Nexus
- Horde Ranger - The Nexus
- Silver Covenant Ranger - Ghostlands
- Wretched Ranger - Eastern Plaguelands
- Betrayed Ranger - Winterspring
- Sunreaver Ranger - Isle of Thunder
- Sunsworn Ranger - Talador
- Sunsworn Defender - Talador
The elven ranger is an elite wilderness warrior whose skills are unique to the elven race. These skills are rooted in ancient tradition, from even before the time of Queen Azshara, and survive in the cultures of both the high elves and the night elves. Elven ranger orders exist among both high elves and night elves. Among the modern high elves, the elven ranger is known as just that, but among the night elves the elven rangers are called by their ancient title: Sentinels. The elven rangers of both races are capable of running through rugged terrain to make impossible shots that appear fluid and natural.
Elven rangers practiced a form of druidism. Those rangers who became dark rangers lost the ability to use those powers. Elven rangers draw their spells from their relationships with nature and the spirits of nature. As such, their spell lists are focused on archery, wilderness, animals, and stealth. A druidic power called "Speak with Plants" allowed them to talk to normal plants and plant creatures.
The most experienced elven rangers became epic elven rangers.
Rangers have always remained a large part of night elven society, but among the kaldorei they are called by their ancient title: Sentinels. Sentinels share almost the exact customs as high elf rangers, to the point where you can only tell the difference by race. Many Sentinels fulfill their duties as huntresses, riding astride great nightsaber panthers, or as windwarriors astride hippogryphs.
- In the canceled Warcraft Adventures, a lamp made from the skull of an elven ranger could be found in Zul'jin's shop.
- gp:Quest:Seek the Farstriders
- Knaak, Richard A.. 《巨龙时代》, 167. ISBN 978-0-6710-4152-6.
- Warcraft II: Tides of Darkness manual, Alliance Ground Units, Elven Ranger
- 《魔兽争霸II：黑潮》手册， 《联盟建筑》，Elven Lumber Mill
-  - Web Archives: 魔兽争霸III 游侠描述
-  - Web Archives: 魔兽争霸III 英雄FAQ
- Arthaus. 《魔兽世界：角色扮演游戏》, 73. ISBN 9781588460714.
- Arthaus. 《魔兽世界：角色扮演游戏》, 100. ISBN 9781588467812.
- Bennie, Scott; Richard Farrese, Bob Fitch. 《部落玩家指南》, 41. ISBN 9781588467720.
- Arthaus. 《魔兽世界：角色扮演游戏》, 102. ISBN 9781588467812.
- Arthaus. 《魔兽世界：角色扮演游戏》, 269. ISBN 9781588467812.
- White Wolf. 《联盟玩家指南》, 127. ISBN 9781588467737.