For fantasy readers and fans of World of Warcraft, the highest-grossing game of all time, comes an official tie-in novel featuring one of its most notorious characters: Illidan.
You are not prepared.
Illidan Stormrage is one of the most powerful beings ever to walk the lands of Azeroth. He is also one of the least understood. Behind his legend, beneath his enigmatic mission, lies a brilliant mind whose machinations are comprehended by few—and trusted by even fewer. Illidan’s righteous reign of justice and vengeance has begun, taking the stunning adventure, intrigue, and heroism of World of Warcraft, the highest-grossing videogame of all time, to a new level.
Long ago, the night elf sorcerer Illidan infiltrated the demonic Burning Legion to ward off its invasion of Azeroth. Instead of hailing him as a hero, his own kind branded him the Betrayer, questioning his intentions after he appeared to aid the demon lords. For ten thousand years, he languished in prison—vilified, isolated, but never forgetting his purpose.
Now the Legion has returned, and there is only one champion who can truly stand against it. Released from his bonds, Illidan prepares for the final confrontation in the alien realm of Outland, gathering an army of grotesque fel orcs, serpentine naga, cunning blood elves, and twisted demon hunters to his side. He alone knows what deeply hidden motives guide his hand; he alone understands the price that must be paid to defeat the enemies of creation. Yet as before, he is assailed by those who see his schemes as a cynical quest for power, including the night elf Maiev Shadowsong, his former jailor. Warden Shadowsong and her Watchers have pursued the Betrayer to Outland to exact retribution for his crimes, and she will not rest until Illidan is in her custody . . . or in his grave.
The novel's prologue depicts Tyrande freeing Illidan during the events of Reign of Chaos, and the first few chapters retell the events of Warcraft III: Frozen Throne. The rest of novel the focuses primarily on Illidan, Maiev Shadowsong, Akama, and a novice demon hunter named Vandel during the period leading up to the Burning Crusade expansion, culminating in Illidan's defeat in the Black Temple raid.
Interview with King
- The writing of the book lasted for 5 months without final editing.
- The book is supposed to be a Legion prequel rather than a bibliography book.
- The book depicts Lord of Outland's rise and fall as well as his demon hunters' training.
- Illidan Stormrage is King's most favorite character in the Warcraft universe. He considers him to be the most charismatic person and a selfish bastard instead of a hero. The book tries to reflect his true personality.
- Illidan knows how to fight the demons and he would do everything to stop the Legion.
- The book is very dark. A bit darker than Warhammer. The Burning Legion is darker that Warhammer's Chaos.
- The author compared the relations of Illidan and his demon hunters to Steve Jobs and his employees.
- William put a character named after his in-game character into the book but Blizzard changed the name.
- How exactly Illidan obtained the Azzinoth warglaives is not in the book because Blizzard don't want it covered.
- Illidan mentions Nordrassil, probably indicating (if it isn't a mistake) that he was imprisoned after the blessing of the World Tree.
- Maiev mentions Darnassus, probably indicating (if it isn't a mistake) that the city was around before the Frozen Throne events.
- Blizzard Entertainment and Random House LLC Partner for New Novels. Blizzard Entertainment (2015-09-18). Retrieved on 2015-09-19.
- Blizzard Entertainment and Random House LLC Partner for New Novels. Blizzard Entertainment (2015-09-18). Retrieved on 2015-09-19. “ Nethaera: 'It's related in that it's about Illidan, but it's more about him and who he is. A closer look at what makes Illidan... Illidan if you will.'”
- Illidan: World of Warcraft. Amazon, retrieved on 2016-01-01
- 2015-11-18, Blizzcon 2015 Preview: World of Warcraft: Illidan. Blizzplanet, retrieved on 2015-11-30
- Interview with William King (CZ)