|身份||白衣女士的化身, 月亮母亲, 夜之战士|
|亲属||塞纳留斯（儿子），玛洛恩（丈夫）, 雷姆洛斯, 奥达努斯, 扎尔塔 (孙子们), 露娜拉 (孙女), 塞纳留斯的子嗣, 塞雷布拉斯 (曾孙), 凯雯德拉, (曾孙女), 安舍 ( 牛头人神话中的兄弟)|
Facets of the Goddess
Woman and mother
艾露恩从未以实体形态被人们在艾泽拉斯所看见。Indeed, she is as much a collection of ideals and principles as she is a personality in her own right. 这位强大的女神本质上是虚无缥缈的存在。尽管如此，艾露恩依然经常被描述为一个超出常人的完美的女性卡多雷，她头戴一顶银色白金头冠，身体四周散发出耀眼的光芒。暗夜精灵工匠中的传说则将她描述为：一头银色的长发、光洁雪白的肌肤和一双散发出月亮光辉的眼眸。
众所周知的是，艾露恩唯一的伴侣是：半神玛洛恩。 他们诞下了一名孩子，名为塞纳留斯, 他继承了其母亲对艾泽拉斯的无私大爱以及其父亲与神秘的翡翠梦境之间的联系。The natural world is intimately connected to the moon goddess as a result, and for more than ten thousand years, the night elves have reflected this by arranging their society according to a harmonious balance between the dual ethos of druids and priestesses, which is embodied in the present age by the union of Malfurion Stormrage and Tyrande Whisperwind.
Devotion and worship
从有记载的暗夜精灵的历史开始，他们对艾露恩的崇拜可以追溯到至少14000年前。然而，毋庸置疑的是，在这之前，艾露恩就已经被更为原始且分散的形式受到崇敬。艾露恩姐妹会在古老的卡多雷首都辛—艾萨莉中建立了已知的首个信奉艾露恩的中心。这群姐妹在某一天将这座神殿搬到了苏拉玛城，正是如此，艾萨拉女王以及上层精灵们开始明显日益疏远月亮女神的信条。 After Suramar itself had fallen to the onslaught of the Burning Legion, Elune became a profound source of hope and humility to all night elves as they witnessed the Ancient Guardians of Azeroth rally under the blazing moon to come to the defense of a world being put to the flame over their civilization's mistakes.
In the era between the War of the Ancients and the Third War, a period known as the Long Vigil, devotion to Elune had essentially become universal among the kaldorei but was practiced without centralized places of worship, much like in ages past. The Sisters of Elune have recently founded a new temple for the moon goddess however, the first of its kind since the complex at Suramar itself: the Temple of the Moon within the night elven capital city of Darnassus. Elune's chosen, Tyrande Whisperwind, resides here both as high priestess and as head of the kaldorei government, and by her side stand many priestesses (and for the first time, several male night elven priests) ready to venture out and soothe a war-weary Azeroth with the Mother Moon's healing light.
艾露恩常常被称作月亮母亲，因为她重视安静平和，以期使艾泽拉斯上的生灵得到最大的培育。然而，当艾露恩推行的和谐安宁受到威胁时，她就不会再追求和平了；艾露恩姐妹会的初学者开始被广泛训练战术及战斗技巧并作为夜之战士而奋战。Elune expects devotion from her priestesses, but never demands they give her every waking moment — the Mother Moon is experienced by her daughters as a nurturing, loving matriarch whose expectations are not oppressive in nature. Whereas Elune is the center of reverence for the Sisters of Elune and the sentinels, the kaldorei druids have devoted themselves to the teachings of Elune's only child; the demigod Cenarius. As such, there exists a deep and intimate link between the spirituality of the night elven druids and priestesses, on which their entire society has been based for over ten thousand years.[请求来源]
如今的凄凉之地中有一个名曰萨格隆的地方，这里曾经有四座被称之为艾露恩大教堂的圣殿—— Elune's Cathedral, Elune's Temple, Elune's Sanctuary and Elune's Palace.每一座神殿里面都放置着一个古暗夜精灵时期的艾露恩圣物。
- One could expect special power from washing one's face in the waters of the Cup of Elune, allowing one to see the spirits of ancient elves as part of the Cleansing Ritual.
- The legends surrounding Elune's Handmaiden has it that in ancient time, after battle, the enemies' weapons were to be cast upon the basin in exchange for a divine gift as part of the Ritual of War.
- According to ancient legend, Elune's Brazier was placed for the performing of sacrifices. A blessing is bestowed upon the being who places the flesh of Elune's enemies on the brazier's burning embers as part of a sacrificial offering.
- The ancient elves revered the gems created by the Ancient Vortex Runestone, claiming that they were gifts from the goddess herself. It was believed that they were weapons capable of delivering them from any enemy. The momument's gemstones were imbued with the power to summon a firestorm. The storm could grow to be a mighty weapon either through sustained worship of Elune, or charged by spiritual energies of the fallen.
当暗夜精灵们When艾露恩姐妹会将和哨兵们并肩作战，她们吟唱着艾露恩之歌并呼唤她的力量。通常，月亮女神会让暗夜精灵的敌人们识见她的愤怒。 还有人说，女祭司们能将月亮挂在正午的天空，以此将艾露恩的力量赐予夜行性的暗夜精灵。 战斗结束后，女祭司们会为受伤的精灵祈祷，并给他们疗伤。
- The ability of calming races engaged in battle by singing a song of peace at night, until sunrise.
- 艾露恩似乎有能力净化一个生物中最为严重的腐化。Two very notable examples of this are her salvation of Avrus Illwhisper and in particular her redemption of Eranikus.
- Elune is depicted to have some power over the element of water, or at least over the tides, as seen in Quest:Power Over the Tides.
- Elune blessed the Ancient Guardian Omen with immortality.
- She granted a vision to Zamael Lunthistle to recognize the wrong he did.
- After worgen arrived to Darnassus, Elune granted Tyrande a vision of Goldrinn being killed by demons during their first invasion, and of a spectral wolf, indicating the coming of King Wrynn to the city and Garrosh's assault on Ashenvale.
The night elves use the word "god" in plural ("Gods help us all"; "May the gods have mercy"), and the Temple of the Moon in Suramar had frescoes and murals depicting Elune and many other gods (actual gods, not demigods) shaping the world. We infer that the night elf religion, though centered around Elune, is actually polytheistic (the druids' reverence of certain demigods supports this). Elune's worship therefore is more like a dominant mystery cult than a monotheism, similar to the religions of Ancient Egypt or Ancient Greece on Earth.
The tauren and the earthen were also known to honor, if not outright worship Elune. The earthen were aware that it was she who gave birth to Cenarius, and were surprised to hear that Ysera was regarded as his mother. It's unknown if this means that the earthen worshiped her, or were merely better-informed about the origins of Kalimdor's demigods.
A tauren myth, the White Stag and the Moon, relates how Apa'ro (Malorne) fled the Shu'halo (Tauren) by escaping into the sky, but was entangled by the stars. Mu'sha saw him and fell in love with him, and agreed to free him if he loved her. Mu'sha's actions appear slightly out of character with Elune as understood by the night elves and the earthen, but it might be helpful to interpret it as a "just-so" story that the tauren used to explain the origin of Cenarius.
During a visit to Darnassus by the draenei prophet Velen, he explained that the kaldorei's description of Elune, as well as the demonstrated powers of the goddess, matched his experiences with powerful naaru. He began to offer advice regarding how to commune with powerful naaru, but Tyrande thanked him for his opinion, then cordially requested that he refrain from making such outlandish claims when in Darnassus or in the presence of Elune's priesthood.
In the RPG Elune is listed as a Healer class and her alignment is Lawful Good.
She nurtured and sheltered the earliest living beings of the world as they awaited the first dawn, giving them the chance to thrive and to grow into the present myriad of life, along with all the possibilities and promises that it entails.
Thus, it was for many centuries, until arcane energy began to leak into the world through the Well of Eternity. Despite her attempts to guide them away, she watched in horror as her spiritual children among the kaldorei were drawn to the Well and seduced by its power. Though her companion Malorne and their child Cenarius joined her faithful among the kaldorei in an attempt to stave off the arrival of the Burning Legion, the demons spilled across the land in a wave of death and destruction that even she could not prevent.
Just as Elune felt that she had once again accomplished her task and brought Azeroth toward a new era of peace, the human kingdoms fell under the corrupting influence of high elven magic, and crumbled into chaos. Shortly thereafter, the orcish Horde came to Azeroth and sparked a new era of warfare that threatens to consume the world like the War of the Ancients did so long ago. Though her kaldorei followers have returned from their time in the Emerald Dream, it has yet to be seen if the moon goddess will take any direct action during this time of trouble.
It's difficult to make the goddess out through the luminescence that surrounds her, only catching glimpses of alabaster skin and long, pale hair, graceful gossamer robes and a platinum circlet upon her brow. Her eyes are brilliant orbs of pure moonlight, and she smiles peacefully upon her worshippers.
Elune is revered by those who worship her as the mother of the world, a scion of peace and a protector of all living things. The majority of the kaldorei strive to follow in her footsteps, though most rationalize their need to resort to violence as the shortcoming of a mortal existence. Even those who worship other powers respect Elune for the unconditional love she gives to all creatures regardless of their beliefs or actions. Though she has never shown herself in physical form on the Material Plane, all the creatures of Azeroth know that were she to do so, it would herald the arrival of a long awaited era of peace.
Elune never engages in combat of any kind, nor does she allow it to occur in her presence. Though she never physically manifests in the world of mortals, when she involves herself in a violent situation, she arrives invisibly and undetected using her song of peace to calm the combatants until sunrise.
- The ship Elune's Blessing is named after her.
- Prior to patch 4.0.3, players could encounter the Voice of Elune upon completing Quest:Guardians of the Altar.
- She is not likely to ever appear in physical, or even non-physical form (except perhaps in a hallucination). Worship of Elune is meant to grant peace and these occasional interventions — unlike the Aspects, Guardians, or even mortals, she is not meant to actively defend (the War of the Ancients and the Battle of Mt. Hyjal notwithstanding) — she is abstract and spiritual, a light in the darkness, hope in despair.
- In modern mythological studies, Elune can be considered a "Great Goddess" figure. As with many lunar fantasy goddesses, aspects of Elune's character are likely drawn from the Greek lunar goddesses Artemis (Roman Diana, goddess of the moon and the hunt) and Selene (Roman Luna, the personification of the moon). Another possible inspiration is Elbereth, the Goddess of Stars and patron deity of the elves in J.R.R. Tolkien's Legendarium. Elune and Elbereth share many similarities, including appearance[请求来源], names, epithets, and their relationship to elves.
- Given the influence Dungeons & Dragons has had on Warcraft, Elune may also be loosely based upon the default goddess Sehanine, goddess of elves and autumn or the Forgotten Realms goddess Selûne (notice the similar name, though different pronunciation), the generic personification of the moon. Elune and Sehanine share a particular habit of rarely, if ever, manifesting themselves, communicating with their Chosen through dreams and moonlight. It is revealed in the fourth edition of D&D that Sehanine is in fact an aspect of Selûne. More so, Elune may be be based on Ehlonna, goddess of the elves, forests, woodlands, flora, fauna and fertility from the Greyhawk setting.
- Many fans theorized that Elune and Ysera are the same being, since they are both described as the mother of Cenarius and show great compassion for the lesser races. However, writer Richard A. Knaak has confirmed that they are NOT the same.
- It is hinted that it was Elune who transformed Kalecgos into an Aspect of Magic. Given that the ritual was done during the Embrace and involved the presence of the White Lady and the Blue Child, and the White Lady is associated with Elune, then it is possible this was the case. This is supported by the following texts: "His was now the ultimate mastery of arcane magic, given willingly, with love and hope and trust, by his flight, by the Mother and Child, by the echo of what the titans had willed, long ago".
- It is possible that Elune's power are on par with, if not rival, the Old Gods. Tyrande were able to call upon Elune's blessed power in the Emerald Dream at the other plane of existence to cleanse it's corruption caused by N'Zoth, an Old God.
- There are possibility that Elune aided the Titans in creating Azeroth. In the Temple of Elune in Suramar, there were murals on the ceiling depicting Elune creating Azeroth alongside gods whose faces were undepicted.
In the third round of Ask CDev, Blizzard remarked that "Velen has been a prophet of the naaru for many thousands of years, and it’s unlikely that he would propose such a theory without significant evidence and consideration." Community manager Kaivax fueled the mystery a bit further by tweeting "whether or not [Elune being a naaru] is anything other than talk is anyone's guess."
Tyrande Whisperwind, Elune's chosen high priestess, has dismissed Velen's opinion on the matter out of hand. Tyrande's rejection of Velen's claim seems to tie into a notable difference between the naaru and Elune—the naaru reject being objects of worship by mortals,[请求来源] although some may revere them. The moon goddess however has for countless ages empowered a night elven priesthood devoted to worshiping her as a divinity, and in every generation has anointed the most faithful of her worshipers as high priestess of a religion dedicated to her name.
With Elune's mortal avatar dismissing the assertion that the mother moon can be identified as a naaru of major prominence, no certainty exists either way. This does not preclude connections between the naaru and Elune, but it suggests the moon goddess might not merely be one of them.
While proven by Brann Bronzebeard's archaeological research that night elves were descended from trolls (dark trolls are their closest ancestors), and Zanza the Restless, a mortal becoming a powerful Loa, it is highly possible that Elune was once a mortal that ascended into a deity by the Well of Eternity's magics, transforming her to become more closely akin to the Titans' own image since the Well was their creation. This would explain why the night elves bear resemblance to the dryads and keepers of the grove, who themselves have a biological link to Elune herself. In addition, Elune might not be her 'mortal name' as their language had changed over the ages (from Zandali to Darnassian), and since the night elves revered her as the mother of their race, Elune might have been a powerful matriarch of her tribe, which fits the claim of her being the Night Warrior. Night elves sometimes refer to Elune as "the Great Mother", although this is possibly due to her parentage of the revered Cenarius.
- The Warcraft Encyclopedia/Night Elves
- World of Warcraft: Chronicle Volume 1, pg. 93
- Quest:Nothing a Couple of Melons Won't Fix
- Quest:To the Hilt!
- Quest:Ten Pounds of Flesh
- Quest:All Becoming Clearer
- The Demon Soul, chapter 8
- The Well of Eternity, chapter 8
- The Sundering, chapter 4
- The Sundering, chapter 19
- Quest:Guardians of the Altar
- Ultimate Visual Guide
- Nightsaber Cub
- Priestess of Elune#Cutscene at the Altar of Elune
- Stormrage, chapter 5
- Quest:In the Hands of the Perverse
- Transcript of Eranikus' redemption
- Quest:The Howling Vale
- Moons + Explosives = Lunar Festival!。 从原始页面归档于2012-02-08。 “Driven mad by the Burning Legion’s tainted magics during the War of the Ancients, Elune's blessing of immortality means that [Omen] will forever be cursed to return in his maddened state at the advent of a new year.”
- Quest:Elune's Blessing
- Ask CDev Answers - Round 2
- Shadows & Light, pg. 80
- Shadows & Light, pg. 81
- Stormrage, chapter 30
- Loreology on Twitter (dead link)
- Heroes of Azeroth/196
- March of the Legion/8
- Ask CDev Answers - Round 3
- Huntresses in Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos. Blizzard Entertainment