Old Ironforge, also known as the Assembly of Thanes, is an area located under the dwarven capital of Ironforge. It is here that attempted a titan ritual to commune with the earth and was turned into diamond.
In The Shattering
After Magni received earthen-related stone tablets from Brann in an attempt to learn about the pre-Cataclysm disturbances (by becoming "one with the earth"), Magni ordered the sealed gates of Old Ironforge to be opened for a ritual. The key took two dwarves to lift, and it took a ladder for them to reach the lock. After venturing through the door, a linear path led Anduin, Muninn Magellas, Advisor Belgrum, High Priest Rohan and Reyna Stonebranch to a large cavern. A surprisingly new-looking carpeted path led upwards to a broad platform capable of holding a large group, and an unadorned stone path led downwards. The ceiling is made of diamond. With an incantation scroll and a potion, Magni performed the ritual. While listening to the incantation, Anduin called this place the "heart of the earth". The ritual seemingly worked, but turned him into a solid diamond statue.
In World of Warcraft
In the High Seat of Ironforge, there is an open door to the left of the entrance. This door leads to the underground chamber of Old Ironforge. , petrified as a result of events taking place during The Shattering, is present, as are , , some , and three large tomes.
- Opened Old IF door.jpg
The door to Old Ironforge in the High Seat opened
- Old Ironforge view from the entrance.jpg
The view looking inside Old Ironforge showing the diamond ceiling
- North Old IF tome.jpg
Northern large tome
- Southeast Old IF tome.jpg
Southeastern large tome
- Northwest Old IF tome.jpg
Northwest smaller tome
- While Old Ironforge has always been present in-game, its entrance was closed off until Patch 4.1.0 (though enterprising players constantly found various ways of bypassing it). During one of the Patch 3.1.0 PTR builds, an operable door from the throne room was implemented and the legitimate path into Old Ironforge was clearly visible, though blocked by an invisible wall. The door was inoperable again by the time the patch went live.
- The arches added when the area was opened clip the crystals on the ceiling.
Also known as The Hall of Thanes, Old Ironforge is a massive, natural cavern complex located in Ironforge's lowest depths. The area is a true marvel of organic stone formation: no dwarf has touched this area with pick or chisel. Ironforge's kings are buried in the Hall of Thanes, and the old throne is here as well. Also within this cavernous area is the ancient, weathered Iron Forge - perhaps the greatest titan artifact ever unearthed. The dwarves do not use this holy anvil, but keep it near their honored dead and the seat of their power. believes that as dwarves uncover more truths about their ancestry, they will find greater uses for the Iron Forge. He believes the titans must have given it to them for a reason.