Taunka, winter tauren
|阵营||Icemist tribe, Horde|
|角色职业||Warrior, Hunter, Shaman|
|种族主城||Formerly Icemist Village, now ruined|
|分布地域||Borean Tundra, Dragonblight, Grizzly Hills, Howling Fjord|
|来源: Wrath of the Lich King|
牦牛人（Taunka, winter tauren） ancient relatives of the tauren, were thought to be lost until re-discovered by Garrosh Hellscream and his orc forces upon their arrival on Northrend. Like their ancestral relations the tauren, the taunka are a hardy people who have given their allegiance to the Horde. They, like their distant cousins the tauren, are involved with the spirits of the land, though after living for so long in such a harsh environment as Northrend they tend to bully the elements rather than ask them to keep their region inhabitable. Although they appear similar to the tauren, they resemble bison more than cattle.
This tenacious, stoic race knows all too well the rigors of living in the harsh and often deadly wastes of Northrend. Over time, the taunka—whom many believe to be ancestral cousins of the tauren—have adapted, but only by forcing the land and the elements to yield to their will. The taunka's relationship with nature, unlike that of their tauren brethren, has been one of constant struggle and grim perseverance.
Although the taunka may seem dour or even cold to outsiders, those who come to know them will soon recognize an embattled race of survivors characterized by colossal hearts and unshakable resolve.
Taunka are clan-bound to be paired.
The taunka use black polar bear pelts in their religious rites, usually at the funerals of those who hunt black polar bears. They also collect the feathers of noble birds of prey to use in crude fortunetelling ceremonies.
Most of the taunka camps are either destroyed, evacuating, or planning to evacuate. The only two exceptions to this are currently Oneqwah and Tunka'lo. Oneqwah is where the Camp Winterhoof taunka are evacuating to.
- Taunka'le Village (Borean Tundra): Currently being evacuated
- Camp Winterhoof (Howling Fjord): Planning to evacuate
- Camp Oneqwah (Grizzly Hills): Intact, taking in evacuees
- Icemist Village (Dragonblight): Capital, Destroyed, infested by undead Nerubians
- Westwind Refugee Camp (Dragonblight): Intact, refugees head here after evacuation
- Camp Tunka'lo (Storm Peaks): Intact, not planning to evacuate
|High Chieftain of the Taunka||Alive||Agmar's Hammer; Icemist Village, Dragonblight|
|Companion of Trag Highmountain||Alive||Argent Tournament Grounds, Icecrown|
|Chieftain of Camp Winterhoof||Alive||Camp Winterhoof, Howling Fjord|
|Brother of Stormhoof, former chieftain of Camp Tunka'lo||Deceased||Frostfloe Deep, Storm Peaks|
|Chieftain of Taunka'le Village||Alive||Taunka'le Village, Borean Tundra|
|Legendary Tunka'lo hero||Deceased||Camp Tunka'lo, Storm Peaks|
|Chieftain of Camp Oneqwah||Alive||Camp Oneqwah, Grizzly Hills|
|Shaman of the Earthen Ring||Alive||Shimmering Expanse|
- Female taunka share the same model as that as the regular female tauren, but males have a different facial model to the male tauren.
- The term icemist tauren was introduced with the non-canon RPG and may have the same meaning as the term taunka. This could mean that the icemist tauren are the taunka or have become the taunka. This is further reinforced by the name of the Taunka's capital city, Icemist Village.
- The name "taunka" likely comes from the word "tatanka", the Lakota word for bison.
A female Icemist tauren, a female taunka?
Chieftain Ashtotem, a taunka.
- Winter Tauren concepts.jpg
Roanauk Icemist in the TCG.
- Quest:The Taunka and the Tauren
- The Wrath of the Lich King Bestiary: Taunka
- Legends Volume 3: Fiend, pg 17
- Mount Journal entry for Reins of the Black Polar Bear
- Imperial Eagle Chick
- Quest:The Fall of Taunka'le Village
- Quest:Hasty Preparations